Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

Scales are for fish

Oh Hi there!  I'm Linda, Megan's Janice (long story).  I live in Canada, and we met on the internet and it's an even longer story.  Anyways, this is Megan's blog and I throw in some two-cents sometimes, so I wanted to throw in some two-cents about scales and weighing and all that jazz.

My story is I lost over 35 lbs in the passed 3 years ( went down and up before that my highest ever weight was 197 lbs!), I lost most of it in my first year, a handful in my second year and now I am just "In maitenence" or "reshaping" or whatever you want to call it.  I'm 5'6 and wear a size 4 if that is any indication and my weight fluctuates from 135-138 depending entirely on the positioning of the moon.

I stopped weighing myself a few months ago and decided to try to adapt a bit more to a clean eating/ high fat (yep HIGH fat, it's amazing)/ little to no gluten diet.  See I'm allergic to dairy, so I can't eat many things (yes it sucks but it works for me) and I try to avoid grains and beans but I still eat my jasmine rice, straight up white.  I guess you could say I'm kind of paleo, but I don't want to label myself with a title so "Hi I'm Linda I eat food that works for my body".  Yeah I like that.

I made the mistake of weighing myself after Christmas, because I am a total idiot and I was up a whole 3 pounds!  Okay that's nothing, could be water could be poop could be one of my cats sitting on my shoulders so I decided not to let it bother me.  Except it does bother me and I don't know why.  That's a lie, I do know why, it bothers me because we put so much emphasis on weight.  People always say "Linda have you lost more weight?! Stop losing weight!" When no... I haven't lost weight in a year, it's just that my exercise regime and my nutrition make subtle changes to my body weekly, even though half the time, I can't see them. Lets be honest without sounding like a conceited big headed pig I look pretty freakin fantastic, no lie and I work hard for that glory, but I have spent too much time nit picking extra skin and .5 of a lb etc etc.

Instead of spending the time celebrating victories or enjoying life in smaller jeans, I would worry about a number or that I have rolls still when I sit or that my thighs are too close together.  I'm over that shit, so done with it! I've come too far to be so cruel.

What I'm trying to say is that since that dreaded weigh in I have avoided the scale and I plan on continuing that trend, it's liberating until you step back on the sucker so please, join me!  Avoid/ trash/ burn the scale and focus on making yourself better for you, not for a board that measures your gravitational pull towards the earth.

It's simple really but I'm still learning.

In case you were wondering, this is what I look like.


(I cropped out my face because... I'm batman!)

No comments:

Post a Comment