Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites

So! I have a lot to catch up on......I've been creating and photographing (sup-par photographing) but haven't had time to actually blog!  I was in Texas all last week and then this week was just crazy. My hubby had surgery Monday so I sat in a hospital for 13 hours on Monday and then went back up on Tuesday morning to pick him up.  Meals in my house have kind of consisted of salads and soups because it's the easiest thing for him to get down!  Anywhoo...I made these little treats on Tuesday. I had some bananas to use up and had a craving for peanut butter cups.  These seriously are SO easy to make that the boys in my house could do it.  It just takes a little patience (that, my friends, is something the boys in my house do NOT have!!!)  So these aren't the epitome of health food.....but they are a healthier alternative for you if you are craving something sweet that is a little bit peanut butter and a little bit chocolate.  I actually add them to my oatmeal instead of adding cocoa powder.  It's a two step process but if you have some bananas that  need to get used up and you don't want to make banana bread.....do this.  Keep in mind.....my chocolate spreading skills SUCK and so do my pictures of these.  But you can figure it out....

Servings:  28   
Serving Size:  1  (I mean....who would really eat one...but I just did that so I could figure out the macros on just 1)


Cals:  49    Carbs:  5g   Protein:  1g   Fat:   3g


  • 3 bananas -- cut into 56 slices
  • 2/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 4 tbsp Peanut Butter
  • 1 tbsp Smart Balance Light Butter
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened Almond Milk

First....you are going to make little banana peanut butter sandwiches with the peanut butter and banana slices (like the picture below).  Set them on a cookie sheet and let them freeze for about 30-45 minutes.  



Next, after they are frozen pretty good, place the chocolate chips, almond milk, and butter in a bowl.  Microwave -- making sure you stop about every 30 seconds and stirring -- so the chocolate doesn't burn.  A trick I learned is  microwave / stir until only about a third of the chocolate chips are not melty.  Take it out and stir and and everything will melt together as you stir.  It's important you add your almond milk WHILE you microwave or else the chocolate will get all chunky and not smooth.  So add your almond milk in from the get go.   After the chocolate is melted, toss your bananas and coat in chocolate.  Place back on the tray and let freeze until solid.




The only thing left to do is EAT!!!  Really.....I told you my chocolate coating skills were crappy.  But who's worried about that when you are stuffing down your throat right??




No comments:

Post a Comment